Re: "environment" unsuitable name for top-level environment

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj-pc.nada.kth.se> writes:

> The proposed new data type for top-level environments is called
> "environment".
>
> In my opinion, this is unsuitable since the name "environment" is
> already occupied: It is commonly used when referring to lexical
> environments, in the current Guile implementation and in other Scheme
> implementations, most notably SCM.
>
> Currently, there are only a few operations associated with lexical
> environments in Guile, but we will very likely extend this set

Of course, if we're never going to support anything but first class
top-level environments, the name is not as "occupied" as I thought.

I'd like us to keep this possibility open, though.  While they should
be avoided in ordinary code, first class lexical environments are
useful in some areas, e.g. when implementing debugging or code
visualization tools.