Re: guile-gtk 0.17

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> Greg Badros <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:
>
> > The bugs I've seen in the GC are my main short-term problem.
>
> Bugs that surface during GC are indeed very hard to track down.  My
> best advice is to try to narrow down the cause of it to the simplest
> piece of code possible.  This might be difficult, too, because GC
> invocation is quite asynchronous.  You might even want to patch
> libguile to run the GC more deterministically, like after each cons.

This would be a nice run-time option in developer builds of guile:

(set-gc-after-each-cons! #t)

It'd be expensive (even noticeable, perhaps, when turned off), but could
really help on these tricky problems.

We have this in system.scwmrc to help with debugging startup problems:

;; (set-load-processing-frequency! 1)
;; (add-hook! load-processing-hook (lambda (n) (display n) (newline) (gc)))

Greg