Re: Some questions about GOOPS and CLOS in general

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:

> > Even if fc1 is a lambda, this is misleading. It is also vastly
> > inferior to any OO with multiple dispatch (see below).
> >
>     huh?  In scheme, functions _are_ data structures.  One nice way of
> looking at objects is as lambdas with multiple entry points.  So I think
> (class-variable method arg ...) is quite accurate.

I agree, and it is also mentioned as a standard object protocol in one
of Guile documents (it could be dated, though).

It is however misleading from the 'meaning' viewpoint. First term of
the s-expression is a function call. When using

(class method arg arg arg...)

class is treated as a bit of data /represented/ by a closure. While
this is no less correct than (method class args...), it is certainly
less clear as it breaks the abstraction - you are using the class with
its explicit representation in mind.

The second sentence (it's vastly inferior to MD) still stands,
irrelevantly to this comment.

--
How to eff the ineffable?