Re: xlib binding

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 11:39:05AM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
> Stephen Tse <stephent@sfu.ca> writes:
>
> > I agree! Also, for the sake of hacking, I am playing with direct
> > implementation of x11 protocol in guile network code (`socket',
> > `connect'...) instead of just linking c xlib to guile interface. Do
> > you think guile is versatile enough that a complete efficient x11
> > protocol implementation would be possible?
>
> I don't know if it would be helpful, but RScheme has a set of
> preliminary bindings and (I belive) some docs on low-level protocol
> issues in its add-on modules (available via cvs).  I haven't looked at
> them closely, but they sound like they might be relevant.

Another X-protocol layer binding out there is scheme-xp 0.01 by Mike Wilson.

http://www.sarg.ryerson.ca/~cmwilson/code/scheme-xp/
http://www.sarg.ryerson.ca/~cmwilson/code/scheme-xp/scheme-xp-0.01.tar.gz

  SCHEME-XP 0.1

  scheme-xp is an implementation of the client-side X library from the
  socket layer up.  Currently it implements much of the underlying
  structure as well as 29 X protocol calls.  There are a few example
  programs in toys.scm like hello-world, shade, bounce-db, and
  color-change.  It should be relatively straightforward to add
  remaining calls and write your own cool little toys.

  scheme-xp uses scsh, but isn't inherently scshy -- sockets and program
  calling, mostly.  Look in xserver.scm, connection-requests.scm,
  non-portable-interface in xprotocol-package.scm, or grep for `scshy'.

-amcl