Re: Autoconf trouble

> John> 15 years ago it might take some time hand editing makefiles,
> John> header and C files, but you could always get something to
> John> compile.  It's hard to defend a tool that stops you dead on what
> John> is a pretty standard system these days, is nearly impossible to
> John> debug, and provides such limited error output..
>
> Tom>  15 years ago you had to know all about everything in order to build
> Tom>  any tool.  If you had to build on multiple architectures, you were in
> Tom>  for a day of pain in order to install just one tool.  I don't know
> Tom>  about you, but for me those were the bad old days.

I've got to side with Tom here.  Autoconf, warts and all, is still much
better than having to hack Makefiles, especially when the number of
Makefiles gets large.  Not that it's perfect, of course.  IMO the biggest
problem with Autoconf is that the learning curve is rather steep.

Mike

Mike Vanier	mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu
Department of Computation and Neural Systems, Caltech 216-76
GNU/Linux: We can't lose; we're on a mission from God.