segfault in scm_gc_mark?

Is there any reason I should get a segfault in scm_gc_mark?  I'm using
version 1.3, using an adaptation of binutils' i386 disassembler and
objdump to build a tagged-list representation of a disassembled file.
For some reason, it's segfaulting in scm_gc_mark.  Of course, I've stepped
through the C program a few times with gdb, but I'm not having too much
success, probably cause it's segfaulting with scm_gc_mark using it's own
stack, so gdb is worthless for figuring out exactly where it occurs (short
of stepping through individual instructions).  FWIW, it doesn't seem to
segfault in the same places (or at least, when it segfaulted in one place,
and I stepi'ed through the entire sequence there on a second run, it did
not happen until well after that location).
    Any pointers would be appreciated (as well as anyone interested in the
code).

Lynn