A few random thoughts

Greg Harvey writes:

 > Just a few bits that I haven't gotten around to addressing.
 >
 > 1) Community stuff: back when it looked like the guile website was
 >    going to get a dedicated server, I was thinking about different
 >    services that it could provide to the guile community; the main
 >    idea was a chat site (in wilder fits of fancy, I thought it might
 >    be cool to have a server for some violent game, where guile people
 >    could go frag each other with impunity (and it would give me an
 >    excuse to work on guile doom, which has been a sort of nagging at
 >    me ever since I mentioned it during the discussion about
 >    incremental gc's and guile performance), but that's just too
 >    stupid, and more likely to breed less than amiable feelings
 >    ;). There are still options for this, though (freeprojects.net will
 >    provide irc channels, for instance, and this'd be a cool way to
 >    test out the guile irc clients). What I thought was that it'd be

There is a #guile channel on irc.eu.openprojects.net and another on
efnet, (not that anyone is ever there, 2 or 3 maximum).
I didn't test any guile irc client, as the emacs irc clients are
yet good enough f'me. It would be good to have a guile-gtk-irc-client
as a 'reference project' for tcp/ip stuff with guile-gtk in gnome ,
I don't know whether there has been much work on guile and tcp/ip
done in general except the old legacy code.

 >    really cool to have once a month `meeting' where you could get
 >    people working on guile and people using guile together to chat
 >    about what they like and don't like, and what's being done. This
 >    has some problems (timezone differences are the first thing that
 >    comes to mind), but I still think it would be worth a try if enough
 >    people are willing. Any other suggestions for this sort of thing?

there is a project called GNU-gather , somewhere, which provides both
synchronous and asynchronous conference stuff. Maybe one can find a
way to  use guile gainfully in it.

Klaus Schilling