Re: Proposal for a Guile binary file format

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Klaus Schilling wrote:

> Marius Vollmer writes:
>  > > > I would pay the price of slower loading of uncompiled Scheme source
>  > > > when we would instead have a good compiler that produces binary code
>  > > > that can be loaded fast and executes fast.
>
> Is it actually possible to compile procedures involving some form of
> eval  efficiently? Stalin refuses to do that. And 'naos' needs eval or
> local-eval a lot, at least until K.Wright shows me that it is not so.

   A while back there was a little discussion about Stalin on
comp.lang.functional (probably been more since) - sounded like it obtained
impressive optimization results by requiring the code to be statically
analyzable.
   As for compiling procedures involving eval, I'd imagine it would have a
lot to do with how convolved the construction of the expression you're
eval'ing is, if it's available at compile time (i.e. not interactively
input), and how much computation you're willing to spend on abstract
interpretation to gather up the potential eval'ed code.

Lynn