Unexec'ing Scwm [was Re: Proposal for a Guile binary file format]

Greg J. Badros writes:

 > There is another approach that Scwm may be able to take: dumping via
 > guile-hobbit's unexec capability.  I've got a dumped Scwm to run, but
 > not of the state loaded before dumping is in the resulting
 > executable.  I'm not sure how to go about figuring out what's wrong,
 > but I imagine that there are folks on this list who have experience
 > with Emacs's unexec and might be valuable in getting this feature to
 > work all the way.  This would be a huge win because then only the
 > .scwmrc file would need to be loaded as all the other modules could
 > be included in the dumped Scwm.

guile-hobbit is quite useful.  i would suggest not dealing w/ undumping,
since such hair is often to the detriment of one's own.  instead, take
foo.scm and separate its guile-specific interface from r4rs code and use
guile-hobbit to build a shared library.  guile-hobbit uses libtool,
which eases most of the portability issues wrt shared libraries.

the distribution includes an example of this (utils.scm, iirc).  the
only issue left is where to install libraries.  for THUD, i chose
PREFIX/lib/thud, but i don't know if this is general practice.   if APP
is already installing under PREFIX/share/APP, i suppose PREFIX/lib/APP
is not unreasonable.  however, in old guile docs, there is some talk of
installing under guile/app (or something like that).  i think there is
no de facto standard at this time.

thi