Re: Documentation proposal

Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> Hello Guile fellows,
>
> this is my first post to this list, so before I start, let me
> introduce myself to make my point of view clear. I got interested in
> Scheme (and later in Guile), because I liked clear and thought-out
> programming languages ever since I started programming.
>
> My major concern with Guile is that I would really like to use it in
> my day-to-day tasks, which mostly include scripting rather than using
> it as an extension language.  I would really like to convince my
> employer so that he would let me use Guile for my work, but for now I
> have not yet been able to present anything useful to him ;)

Please search for SCSH and the docs which come  with it. There is some
extension to guile which mimics SCSH and possibly this might be helpful
too.

> This leads to my intention for this posting. It would be great to have
> some HOWTO-style documentation covering things like scripting, network
> programming or text file processing.  Of course, these are not the
> things computer scientists are too excited about, but the majority of
> programming tasks depend on stuff like that.

I would think that some other have written some GUILE stuff on that. So
the point is making it more public available.

> I don't feel very qualified neither in Scheme programming nor in
> writing documentation, so I wanted to ask you for your opinion about
> my idea before starting. Do you think this plan is worth it, and do
> you think whether there is any sense in writing a tutorial "on the
> fly", which means that I want to dig into this and while I do so, I
> want to document my steps and experiences, and finally merge
> everything into a kind of tutorial.

It won't hurt and may help. So go for it ;-) And maybe you should have a
look  at LAML this might help to get some better docs for GUILE.

Regards
Friedrich