Re: GUILE projects

Telford Tendys <telford@eng.uts.edu.au> writes:

> A lot of people count CPU clocks which is old-school thinking.

I'd say clock-counting is OK, but it is difficult with modern
architectures where the clock-count of certain instructions depends so
heavily on context.  Anyway, to find out how the proposed changes
would affect the evaluator, we have to implement and measure them.  I
think the original SCM evaluator is carefully tuned for cache
performance etc, btw.

But let me also say that I don't think that Guile really needs a new
evaluator.  In my opinion, the current one works very well and trying
to do better is a sizeable research project with a good chance of
failing.  There are more important things on the surface.

- Marius