Re: thanks

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl> writes:

> Browsing lily sources reveals calls to scm_assoc, scm_assoc_set_x,
> scm_reverse ,scm_mkstrpor, scm_ftell, scm_eval_x, scm_read,
> scm_fill_input, scm_puts, scm_unprotect_object, scm_protect_object,
> and lots more. I don't think the gh_ interface is rich enough for my
> purposes, and frankly, I still don't know what it is for exactly.

This is one of the interesting things with Guile. It's just too
tempting to use guile's infrastructure (datatypes, gc, pointer
abstraction) in your C code. I don't think there's anything bad about
it - guile beats crap out of glib (the only other generic
datastructure lib I know of) for ease of use, mainly because of GC,
and I use guile code all over SART - my guess would be that it cut the
size of C portion of the system to about 1/2 of what it'd be if I had
to worry about memory and datastructure issues.

Unfortunately guile documentation didn't anticipate this use at all -
reading it, you may conclude that guile gives you a cool scripting
language, and cool language to build high-level layers of your
application, but NOT a general-purpose reusable C library.

--
How to eff the ineffable?