Re: Documentation proposal

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Harvey J. Stein wrote:

> BTW - profiling support in guile would help alot.  I had to port my
> profiling wrapper code from STk to guile, which is a sub-optimal
> solution.  AFAIK, guile never adopted my wrappers, and never added an
> alternative.

That's sad.  Especially since support for profiling is exactly another one
of the points, where it does not hurt if a temporary solution is
sub-optimal:  Since profiling is used for debugging and speeding up
programs, it does not hurt at all if the API changes at some time, because
it is extremely unlikely that this will break a lot of code.  However,
having profiling support _today_ allows to optimize a lot of other code.

Thus, I suggest that guile is more flexible in accepting code when it is
obvious that an API change will not have much influence on other people's
code.  It's really not much sense to wait for an optimal profiling API.
If more people use guile, such an optimal solution will evolve over time
anyway, due to the nature of free software to improve (more or less)
constantly.

Dirk Herrmann