Re: should GOOPS be built-in?

> Sender: guile-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
> Cc: guile@sourceware.cygnus.com
> Cc: djurfeldt@nada.kth.se
> From: Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se>
> Date: 10 Dec 1999 03:11:00 +0100
>
> Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:
>
> > Since we're all in soul-searching mode and pondering the future of guile, I
> > thought it would be a good idea to bring up the issue of whether GOOPS
> > should be built-in to the core of guile or not.
>
> I'd just like to add that we already have had opportunities for
> discussion about this earlier.  Jim has made the decision to integrate
> GOOPS with Guile.  We also have said publicly that this will happen,
> so that people can rely on this.
>
> While the change of maintainership of course can be seen as an
> opportunity to reconsider already made decisions and change course,
> I'm not so sure that it is fruitful in this case.

No offense meant, of course.  However, assuming GOOPS is built-in, how does
this affect the possibility of adding/using alternative object systems that
provide more information-hiding than GOOPS-type object systems do?  This
*will* be an issue where translators are concerned, and maybe even
independently of that.

> Code more, talk less!

I'll be happy to, when the documentation gets up to par :-)

Mike