profiling (was Re: Documentation proposal)

Harvey> BTW - profiling support in guile would help alot.  I had to
Harvey> port my profiling wrapper code from STk to guile, which is a
Harvey> sub-optimal solution.  AFAIK, guile never adopted my wrappers,
Harvey> and never added an alternative.

I was at one time doing some experiments with adding profiling code to
the evaluator. It was producing numbers but it was not exactly obvious
that the numbers was being usefull (or even related to the execution of
the code :-)

I got sidetracked by a change of focus at work but I will try to
polish it up to a state where others can have a look at it. Probably
will not happen this side of Christmas though.

But profiling is *badly* needed.

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8628 8177 + 28  | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)