Re: should GOOPS be built-in?

Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:

> Are you advocating that no changes to the guile core be accepted unless
> they're accompanied by documentation?  That would be an interesting idea,
> but I'm not sure the guile world is ready for it...

No big changes, at any rate. goops, for example, is an excellent
thing. Without documentation, it's almost useless to most people using
guile(especially for people who're coming from the c++/java camp; then
it's useless and confusing). I think that if we don't start being
strict about such things, then guile will always be in the state of
`oh, that's in there, it's just not documented.' It also means that
the person most qualified to write the documentation, or at least
initial documentation, is writing it. I'm not saying it necessarily
has to be `everything you ever wanted to know about', but it should be
enough to understand and use the code. If not, what's the point?
You've just added code that maybe 10 people will ever use, and that
after a lot of annoyance at trying to figure out what's there and how
to use it.

--
Greg