Re: docstrings in Guile!

ryan yeske <rcyeske@sfu.ca> writes:

>     >>  Now that I have it finally built, the above does not work for
>     >> me.  In fact, documentation is undefined.  Did I missing
>     >> something?  procedure-documentation is there, but it returns #f
>     >> on any symbol.
>
>     Greg> Doh. You need to do
>
>     Greg> (use-modules (ice-9 documentation))

Should've been (use-modules (ice-9 doc)), BTW.

>     Greg> somehow I skipped that line when I cut and pasted into my
>     Greg> email message.  Sorry about that.
>
> Ok, I'm getting there.  However, it was (use-modules (ice-9 doc)), and
> guile-procedures.txt was installed into /usr/local/share/guile, I had
> to mv it to /usr/local/share/guile/1.3.5.
>
> Now I can pull view the doc strings!  Right on!  A detail now is that
> all of the docstrings are spaceless:
>
> (char=? x y)
> Return#tiffXisthesamecharacterasY,else#f.
> ^A[chars.c:66]
>
> This is definitly a mawk thing, after I installed gawk, I manually ran
> guile-doc-snarf on alist.c and it the docstrings from that file are
> fine.  I'm not too versed in the ways of awk, but I'll play around
> with guile-doc-snarf.awk and see if I can work it out.  In the
> meantime I suppose I can rebuild it with gawk.

Hmmm... please do try to figure this out... I just looked again w/ an
eye for portability issues affecting spaces and didn't notice anything
obvious, but I've never used mawk;  one of the reasons I used awk
instead of perl was to avoid the dependency on another package, but if
we *require* gawk, that'd be non-ideal.

> Thanks for you help, Greg.

My pleasure-- I'm grateful you're willing to help debug and test!

Greg