Re: GNUism in Guile

Bernard URBAN <Bernard.Urban@meteo.fr> writes:

> Hello!
>
> In current CVS code, I found that libguile/guile-doc-snarf.in contains
> a reference to the GNU 'touch'. In addition, this script requires ksh,
> because of the line:
> dot_x=${filename%.*}.x

Though I think you're right that some bare sh's don't handle this;  it's
not a ksh'ism --- bash, zsh, (and maybe even tcsh) get this right.
Nevertheless, it's my fault for not considering vendor /bin/sh-s.

> In the past, I had to complain often about GCCism in the code of Guile.
>
> Please guys, keep the code of Guile pure ANSI C, and the installation
> environment as the standard GNU one.
>
> So it will continue to be possible to run Guile on the supercomputer
> we have here. Yes, I know, GCC and Linux will take over the world
> eventually, but until then...

I assume you don't have any problems if features of GCC are exploited as
long as the code still compiles cleanly as ANSI C?  We had a thread a
while about about use gcc's __inline__ directive (suitably wrapped) to
improve performance of Guile when compiled with gcc (w/o affecting
performance for non-gcc compilers.

Thanks for the heads up on GNUisms, and thanks to Michael for his fixes!

Greg