Re: Schemey markup (was Re: Doc Tasks)

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:

> Hmm. Or of course you could write proper Scheme and quote
> strings. Then of course you'd want parens, because you're
> already used to them if you're working on Guile.

no, I don't thing so.  at least to me, writing a docstring works like:
I write a string, and escape out when I want to mark something up.

note also that most people who ever wrote docstrings did it in Elisp
or Common Lisp code.  no parens for markup there either.

> (example "I can use as much parenthesis as I want inside my text and it
> 	 won't confuse the parser (because it's" (emph "proper") "Scheme).
> 	 I can also use whatever indentation I want. And I'll get proper
>          syntax highlighting. And smilies are allowed ;-) and don't
>          even
> 	 break parenthesis balancing (at least not in" (cmd "jed")
>          ", dunno 'bout" (cmd "emacs") ".")
>
> (opinion "Oh, and now that I did it, I think it looks kinda pretty
> too ;-)")

not to me.  but let's not descend into style arguments.

my main point was that the markup (whatever syntax it may use) should
have the right *semantics*.  as far as syntax goes, my main objection
to *ML is that it's kinda hard on the eyes and wrists.

> That would require that all tags are implemented as procedures,
> with options as keywords and everything else as a list. Then
> the final presentation generators have to come up with a smart
> string concatenation method and voila.

I'm not sure I understand this.  the presentation generators have to
map Guile semantic tags to target tags, in many cases lossily, which
is hardly string concatenation.  can you explain?

> []s,
>                                                |alo
>                                                +----

parentatically yours,
--mike
--
The journey of a thousand miles begins with an open parenthesis.
                                                           -- Rainer Joswig