Re: Non-source files in CVS

Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think there is a number of files in CVS that should be removed.
> These are all non-.source files that are automatically
> generated/copied by autogen.sh and we shouldn't have them in CVS
> because it is confusing.
>
> I also think we shouldn't have .cvsignore files in CVS because I see
> them more as a private means of configuring CVS than as a part of
> Guile.

I disagree abouot .cvsignore - there are some files everyone will
want to ignore since they will be autogenerated by the build process.

Regarding the others, last time this suggestion was brought up, there
was some debate. Some people felt that autogenerated files should be
checked in because otherwise it would be necessary to consider the
specific versions of the auto* tools used part of the version history,
and revert to older versions to properly reproduce Guile builds.

My own feeling is that this concern is far outweighed by the annoyance
of having to check in autogenerated files and deal with spurious changes
due to tool version skew among developers, or local configuration
differences.

But I wonder if those opposed to removing these files from CVS still feel
that way.

 - Maciej