Re: Examples of embedding guile

"Greg J. Badros" wrote:

> Derry Bryson <dbguile@ta1.reno-onramp.com> writes:
>
> <snip>
> > >
> > > Yep, but see Scwm's scwm.c and guile-compat.c to see how Maciej worked
> > > around this issue to permit C code to drive the application.  I believe
> > > he's planning on integrating this capability directly into libguile in
> > > the near future.
> >
> > This is something I will have to take a serious look at.  I was
> > hoping for some function like eval(...) that I could just call
> > to evaluate an expression.
>
> Right, you get that, but you also have to tweak the startup code to get
> the interpreter bootstrapped.  It's not that hard, and it's silly that
> it's not part of guile already.
>
> > > Good luck!  But beware of re-inventing the wheel as there are other
> > > Scheme-based spreadsheets out there (many have been mentioned on this
> > > thread already).  Contributing to one of those may be a more worthwhile
> > > investment of your time (or contributing to, say, scwm! :-) ).
> >
> > Yes, re-inventing the wheel is bad, but I want to have a cross-platform
> > program.  I will certainly try to look at what else is out there.
>
> Then it may be more useful to work on Gtk+ -> Windows porting efforts to
> try to get Gnumeric to work on Windows:
>
> http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/

Perhaps, however, while a GTK+ port to Windows would be very nice, it
doesn't help other platforms.  It doesn't help those using the Mac or
BEOS, or OS/2 or whatever else is out there (unless there is a GTK+ port
to their platform).  I think an approach using a cross-platform GUI
library is a better use of time as my program will be usable across all
platforms supported by the cross-platform GUI (now and in the future)
than supporting a platform that will only be supported best under one OS
(Linux, which I love).

However, thanks much for your response.

Sincerely,

Derry Bryson