Re: Suggestion for strings.c

Dirk Herrmann <dirk@ida.ing.tu-bs.de> writes:

> In symbol.c the slot parameter is used for a very special purpose, which
> is to create an 'msymbol'.  Don't ask me what that is, but it is _not_ a
> string, but a certain kind of symbol.

It has been used to implement the current module system, for compatibility
with elisp and to store additional data like symbol properties.

The current module system is based on first class variables (locations).
A collection of first class variables were called "environment" and
a collection of environments were called "module".  If you take
a look at `the-environment', you'll find a function which looks up
variables in the current module.  This function is called indirectly
by the evaluator.

We're about to change that; see Jim's environment proposal.

Jost

P.S.: Per's SRFI seems to suggest that we'll have to re-introduce
first class locations after ... :)