Re: GOOPS and class linearization

Michael Livshin <mlivshin@bigfoot.com> writes:

> currently, `compute-std-cpl' works consistently with the classic CLOS
> class linearization:

<snip>

> the people who designed Dylan remedied the problem by defining the cpl
> of a class as a merge of the local precedence order with the
> precedence order of the direct superclasses, so that the example at
> the beginning of this message would instead produce:

<snip>

> for detailed description see:
> http://www.webcom.com/haahr/dylan/linearization-oopsla96.html

Our Cecil/Vortex group here at the University of Washington (and
specifically, Craig Chambers) is sometimes credited for changing the
Dylan folks' mind about this.  The Cecil language includes some great
work on multimethod and predicate dispatch and there are tons of papers
online at:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/projects/cecil/www/Papers/papers.html

Greg