How does the debugger work ?

I have been trying to use the debugger of the Guile interpreter for
several hours now, and cannot figure how it works.  Could someone please
take the time of answering one or more of the following basic questions
?

1/ The documentation in CVS (guile-ref) says that it is possible to
"Execute a program or function one step at a time", but of course does
not say how.  So, what is the command to do that ?

2/ Is is possible to set breakpoints ?  If yes, what kind of
breakpoints, and what are the commands ?

3/ The (trace) function is very useful, but it cannot be used for a
function which is defined in a module and not exported.  Am I right ?
Is there a work-around (for example a hack to access internal functions,
since other functions such as backtrace can access these functions) ?

It was only after a long time that I found Chris Hanson's debugger
(debug), which is very useful to inspect the stack when receiving an
error.  So bad there is absolutely no mention about it in guile-ref (I
know there is such a mention in the NEWS file, but who remembers what
was in the NEWS file six months after the installation of a new version
?).  I may provide a patch to appendices.texi with one line about that
debugger and the answers to the above questions.

(BTW, sorry for sending a message twice yesterday)

Thierry Bézecourt.