Re: Translators again

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 04:10:48PM +0200, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
> The intermediate form should carry information on how to eval it,
> so that the program wouldn't have to remember that separately.
> Perhaps the intermediate form should be a thunk which could then
> be called in the usual Scheme way.
>
>   (string->thunk STRING #:language LANGUAGE)
>
> I don't know if there would be problems with strings containing
> declarations of variables or types.

That makes sense.  There shouldn't be any problems with declarations,
as the thunk would evaluate at the top-level anyway, I'd imagine, just
like eval currently does.

I don't know much about the C API for Guile in general, or for eval
in particular, but this is probably more important.  Scheme is
flexible enough to do whatever you want.  All these forms we've
talked about should be reducible into any of the other forms.  But
in C you usually work with what's given to you.

--
Ian Bicking         / 4869 N. Talman Ave. Apt. G, Chicago, IL 60625
bickiia@earlham.edu / http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~bickiia