Re: How does the debugger work ?

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> Thierry Bezecourt <thbz@free.fr> writes:
>
> The trace function works for any function.  The problem for a function
> which is internal for some module is not connected to `trace' but
> rather to how to access the procedure.  You can for example do it with
> local-ref.  To trace `foo' in (my module):
>
>   (trace (local-ref '(app modules my module foo)))

Thanks for the information, this is exactly what I was looking for.

> > It was only after a long time that I found Chris Hanson's debugger
> > (debug), which is very useful to inspect the stack when receiving an
> > error.  So bad there is absolutely no mention about it in guile-ref (I
> > know there is such a mention in the NEWS file, but who remembers what
> > was in the NEWS file six months after the installation of a new version
> > ?).  I may provide a patch to appendices.texi with one line about that
> > debugger and the answers to the above questions.
>
> The debugger is not mentioned because it is not yet complete (and
> because when it was added, it was fairly untested: I wanted it to be
> used first in a smaller circle of people before announcing it).

To you mean Chris Hanson's interactive debugger (debugger.scm), or
yours (debug.scm) ? I have been using both of them without any problem
so far. The trace function is very useful, not only for debugging, but
also to check that a function is tail-recursive.

--
Thierry Bézecourt