Re: Where should I install compiled modules please?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Ian Grant wrote:

> Look at guile-readline (in the subdirectory guile-readline of the guile
> source) and see how it's done there: basically you install a scheme module
> (which goes in the shared directory [$(datadir) in automake speak].) which
> scheme module explicitly loads the C module doing something like
>
> (dynamic-call "scm_init_readline" (dynamic-link "libguilereadline.so"))

guile-readline is (with no other --prefix given) installed under
/usr/local/lib.  I just checked, however, that at least under my system
(suse 6.3 Linux 2.2.13 i586) moving the libguilereadline.* files to a
guile subdirectory /usr/local/lib/guile and then doing

(dynamic-call "scm_init_readline" (dynamic-link "guile/libguilereadline.so"))

also works.  Since this call is not derived automatically, but explicitly
performed from within ice-9/readline.scm, an arbitrary installation
subdirectory could be chosen.

I only vaguely remember a discussion about this, but a quick look across
the archive didn't help, so please excuse if this suggestion was discussed
and rejected before:  Shouldn't guile specific library files as
libreadline be put into some guile subdirectory like $prefix/lib/guile
instead of directly into $prefix/lib?

If there is no objection, I would suggest that this would be a good place
for the greg libraries as well.

Another question:  Are there any thoughts about making greg guile's
standard testing utility?  Currently there is a testing environment which
also is quite nice, but by using a common environment duplicate work could
be avoided.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann