Re: Where should I install compiled modules please?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, thi wrote:

> i proposed this very same thing (extending initial %load-path to include
> $(libdir)/guile) and included a patch on bug-guile, but alas, discussion
> proved that people don't easily distinguish guile binary module calling
> conventions from random .so files and, didn't see a need to maintain the
> abstraction layer.

And I even think that you would not have to extend %load-path:  Following
the readline example, modules are _always_ loaded via scm files, which
then can easily use dynamic loading explicitly to load a shared
library.  You don't have to use a consistent naming scheme in the shared
libs, just to please some automatic mechanism in the module loader.  Taken
to the extreme, every author could decide for himself, where the shared
libs are stored, and how the initialization functions are called in each
case.  However, I think we agree that it makes sense to introduce some
common directories that could be used, and module authors that use shared
libs are probably also best advised to use some consistent naming scheme
for their initialization functions.

> this is the second time i've back-referenced this issue; not really sure
> how to go about this constructively any more.

Seems to me the same about the "typedef void * SCM" issue:  Not really
rejected, not really discussed, not really decided.  The question is as
open as it was before :-)

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann