Re: Emacs with Guile

Klaus Schilling <Klaus.Schilling@munich.netsurf.de> writes:

> So it can't be used on a text console? would there be a way to achieve
> that with Kawa?

Oh, I think it is doable.  One possibility would be to write a set
of AWT "peer classes" on top of curses.  An alternative may be
to plug in some new classes that replace the Swing classes -
most of JEmacs doesn't depend on Swing windows.  (One could
use the Swing classes for buffer management, while using
curses-like classes for window management.  There is no reason
you cannot mix them.)

My feeling is that traditional console support is becoming less
and less important.  How many people actually use consoles whose
hardware actually cannot support graphics?  I do use xterm and similar
consoles a lot, but is there any reason you couldn't have real
graphics and windows embedded in xterm or the Linux console?
The only reason is the lack of protocols (standards) and software
to implement them.  (Such protocols have existing for decades.)
--
	--Per Bothner