Re: Emacs with Guile

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> One thought occured to me: maybe it is possible to increase the degree
> of integration by rewriting the Elisp interpreter to use the Guile
> data types directly.  That is, pairs, symbols, numbers, etc are
> already there, and buffers, windows, etc get a thin smob layer.

It is certainly possible, but I wonder how worth it is for the moment.
The most important thing for now is that Emacs should evaluate Elisp
programs fast without problems even if new Scheme programs became
possible.  When more and more Emacs Scheme programs became available
and we wanted to execute them faster, then modifying the Emacs internals
would be the way we should go.  Until then, I think the way of translating
Lisp data <-> Scheme data is OK.  Let's do the easier one :)

I'd like to write some more Emacs Scheme programs so that I can figure
out what problems might be there.