Re: Emacs with Guile

>>>>> "Friedrich" == Friedrich Dominicus <Friedrich.Dominicus@inka.de> writes:

Friedrich> I would think that using a more stable Lisp-Version may be
Friedrich> a better option. Of course Common Lisp comes to my mind
Friedrich> relativly quick.

Guile was selected fro the GNU project for many reasons, these points
may or may not have part of the decision.

- SCM (forefather of guile) has had some connection with FSF for years.

- Cygnus (initial developer of guile) has had some connection with FSF
  for years.

- The GNU extension language was proclaimed to be a TCL killer; scheme
  generally resembles TCL in style, size and philosophy a lot more than
  CL does.

- I saw someone mentioning somewhere on some newsgroup that RMS
  apparently dislikes CL for some reason.

Friedrich> I guess CL is much more stabilized and a lot of things are
Friedrich> in place which are lacking in Guile.

Actually scheme (later 70's) sort of predates CL (early 80's).

Friedrich> ... just it seemed that Guile and other Schemes are
Friedrich> inventing what was in Common Lisp before. Why do you think
Friedrich> that is necessary?

IMHO there are some real and profound differences in the philosophy
and approach of the teams designing the two languages. The RnRS
commitee are very carefull about what is being put into the standard,
in fact they are so carefull that the grassroots has started the SRFI
process to get going on some of the more messy stuff (such as optional
argument syntax).

Personally I am more of a CL than scheme fan, but I agree with MDJ
that this is the wrong forum to quarrel about which is best.

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8738 2228       | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)