Re: tie variable

At 04:52 14/03/2000 -0500, Keisuke Nishida wrote:

>I have a question of how to make a special variable in Scheme
>that is like a tie variable in Perl.  Is there any way to call
>a certain function whenever a variable is referred or modified?
>
>One design issue of Guile Emacs is how to share the value of
>customizable variables between Scheme and Lisp.  Whenever people
>changed the value of variables in one language environment,
>it had to affect the other environment.

Just an idea : maybe Goops could be used here ? Variables imported from
Lisp could be represented in Scheme as instances of some <lisp:variable>
class. Then you could redefine set! to do whatever you want on
<lisp:variable> objects. A Goops class and a set of generic methods (to set
a variable, print it, etc) may help in mapping Lisp data types to Scheme
data types.

>BTW2, sorry about my poor English.  I apologize if people have
>had bad feelings with my writings.

You don't need to, your english looks good to me (of course, I'm not
english either).

--
Thierry Bézecourt
thbz@worldnet.fr