Re: Emacs with Guile

Can I chip in here?

>Richard Stallman writes:
> > What is the license of Swing?

Klaus Schilling replied:
>The kaffe-people (a free software implementation of java) tried to
>emulate the sun java library. Question is, to which extent is the
>swing emulation provided by the kaffee team functionally equivalent
>to java's original swing toolkit. It was not so one year ago.

There are serious doubts about Swing in the Java community. It's an
enormous toolkit and much of it is badly implemented.

>P.Bothner reported at that time that kawa would not work completely
>correctly with kaffe instead of Sun's Java.

From what I've seen of JEmacs the Swing used could easily be
implemented as part of a free project. It could then be distributed
directly with JEmacs.

I don't want to speak for Per but I suepct he's developing it with
Swing because it's a bit simpler. When JEmacs is on a stronger footing
many free Java programmers (including myself) would be happy to help
with the fixing of the bits of Swing that are needed.

But implementing the whole of Swing would, as Klaus reports, be a
major project and of doubtfull worth until Swing stablises.

As a final point I suspect that the problems with JEmacs and Kaffe
are probably not due to Swing but to the Kaffe AWT implementation
which seems to have some general compatability problems with Suns
version. These incompatabilities are not serious and could be fixed.

Nic Ferrier