Re: gtk and threads

Ole Myren Rohne <ole.rohne@cern.ch> writes:

> Then my question: Is there a way of making threads and gtk work together?

Yes.  I have done this.  I recently completed Guile's COOP threads
with the set of functions used by GNOME's gthreads library.  I have
made a libguilegththreads library which plugs in into glib so that the
entire GNOME set of libraries uses COOP.

This seems to work reasonably well, except that it *doesn't* work
together with Linux threads, since they store context information at a
location obtained by rounding the stack pointer.  It works well under
SunOS, but on Linux it gives a segmentation fault when the first
thread is created.

I have been trying to find a solution to this.  My basic idea is to
let the Linux threads library allocate the thread stack.  I haven't
got it to work yet, though.