Re: Bug with letrec???

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Michael Livshin wrote:
> > > an interesting thing is that at least in Scsh and MzScheme letrec
> > > works as Norbert expected.  but yes, per R5RS it doesn't have to.
> >
> > elk also
> > that was the reason I had problems. I adapted a script from elk to
> > guile.
>
> In any case, since it is a bug in the code, one should only see it as
> a strength that Guile doesn't accept it.

Nevertheless, I have to take this opportunity to voice my opinion that
I would like to have a letrec* form that behaves like Norbert expects
it, because I think it is useful.  Furthermore, I would like to expand
internal defines into letrec* (and not letrec as it is done now).  Not
when Guile is in RnRS mode, but when it is in Guile mode.  Then, I
would like to lift the requirement that defines must appear at the
beginning of a body, with no intervening non-defines.  I think it is
easy to specify the semantics for this and easy to implement.