Re: popen behavior - interactive processes

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 10:19:03PM -0000, Gary Houston wrote:
> The popen module is a stop-gap measure: it emulates C stdio facilities
> which were previously (together with "system") the only relatively
> high-level facilities in guile-core for running other processes.  The
> C stdio support went away when Guile stopped using C stdio.

Ah.. I was wondering why the code was so simple :->

> Bidirectional ports are supported,
> (open-file "lkjdf" "w+") for example.

Figured so.. is it possible to make one by pasting together an input
and and output port, or would that just be a silly waste of effort?

> The problem with running interactive processes like /bin/sh is they
> often want to interact over a pty, not a pipe.  guile-core doesn't
> currently have pty support (an old version guile-iii, circa 1995,
> did have it, based on Emacs code.  greg, from ftp.gnu.org,
> has added pty support for its own purposes.

It's not currently in guile-core because of wanting to keep guile-core
clean and lean and mean?

> If that's the problem, perhaps running /bin/sh with additional options
> would allow it to interact over a pipe, e.g., -i.

Hmm.. I will try that idea.  Thanks for the info.