Re: Syntatic sugar and identifier permissivity

Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:

> Well... many (most?) classes will dispatch on just the first argument, and
> these ones might be more eye-friendly if written using an alternate syntax.
> Of course, a true multimethod would look pretty silly this way.

I haven't found that too be true, that most methods dispatch on their
first arguement, when working with CLOS generic functions.  That could
be a artifact of some of the other conventions and traditions which
effect the order of arguments when your writing a new generic
function.

Since guile does not have the same conventions and history
overdetermining argument orders as CLOS does, then perhaps it would be
true that most generic functions dispatch on their first argument.  I
would prefer to see how GOOPS conventions pan out before making an
assumption about that.

The syntactic sugar Lalo wants is for slot accessors only tho, which I
think is fine beause there the semantics are clear.  The first part is
the object instance, the second is the slot to access.

Of course, he who implements get's to decide...

--
Craig Brozefsky                      <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software  http://www.red-bean.com/~craig