possibly bug with ,@

Hello folks,

I found the book ``The Scheme Programming Language (2nd Edition)'' on the
web and tried out some examples.  In the book, the expression

(let ((a 1) (b 2))
  `(,a ,@b))

evaluates to

  (1 . 2)

Guile tells me:

mgrabmue@tortoise (~): guile
guile> (let ((a 1) (b 2))
        `(,a ,@b))
ERROR: In procedure append in expression (quasiquote (# #)):
ERROR: Wrong type argument (expecting NULLP): 2
ABORT: (wrong-type-arg)

Type "(backtrace)" to get more information.
guile>

R5RS did not help me about this.  Can you tell me who is right?
This is the Guile version I am using:

mgrabmue@tortoise (~): guile -v
Guile 1.3.5
Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997 Free Software Foundation
Guile may be distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence;
certain other uses are permitted as well.  For details, see the file
`COPYING', which is included in the Guile distribution.
There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

BTW.: I saw some people on the list complain that they can't compile CVS
versions of Guile, just like me.  Have the autoconf/automake requirements
changed recently?  Doing ./configure in my cvs tree gives me (./autogen.sh
gave some warnings about `warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to
allow cross compiling' and `macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library'):

[snip]
creating qt/qt.h
creating qt/md/Makefile
creating qt/time/Makefile
creating guile-config/Makefile
creating doc/Makefile
creating libguile/scmconfig.h
configuring in guile-readline
running /bin/sh ./configure  --enable-ltdl-convenience --cache-file=.././config.cache --srcdir=.
./configure: line 526: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: line 526: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'
configure: error: ./configure failed for guile-readline

TIA,
  'mgrabmue

--
Martin Grabmueller              mgrabmue@cs.tu-berlin.de