Re: librep's indirect threaded bytecode interpretter

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> Jorgen 'forcer' Schaefer <forcer@mindless.com> writes:
>
> > The exists an Oberon project with a similar goal as Java, but
> > uses "parse trees" as intermediate storage[*].
> > [*]: Juice, http://www.ics.uci.edu/~juice/
>
> I don't think that the technology they describe exists.  There's
> neither documentation nor an implementation available.

They offer both a netscape/IE plugin as well as example applets,
yes, it does exist, but that's totally unrelated to my point.

> Please note also that nearly all Java specs are available to
> the public while the Oberon project (as much as I like the
> language itself) is a closed project.  The only information
> available stems from the three three books written by Niklaus
> Wirth and his project team.

Since i didn't ask anyone to work on that project nor on the
Juice system, your comment is slightly misplaced.  I just wanted
to bring another point of view in the discussion.  And *i* don't
like oberon ;)

> > The JVM is too a restricted language as that it would be worthwhile.
>
> It's more or less a stack machine.  Why do you think this is too
> restricted?

Based on the stuff i read in the Juice material i found there
when i first heard of the project, on on a documentation of early
Kawa, which is invalidated due to the presence of the kawa
author.  See <hh4s8jqibi.fsf@forcix.burse.uni-hamburg.de>

> > Also, it lacks useful stuff which don't make sense for Java
>
> Which stuff?

tail-call optimization, call/cc, support for variable-length
functions, etc.  Also, we get the Java Type System, since that is
what the JVM implementation will check for, which will at least
be troublesome with Goops/TinyClos.  Or so i think, which is what
i asked Per Bothner in he message indicated above.  Being the
author of Kawa i assume that he has much more extensive knowledge
of the JVM than i do.

        -- forcer

--
((email . "forcer@mindless.com")       (www . "http://forcix.cx/")