Re: librep's indirect threaded bytecode interpretter

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> A more Scheme-centric, more compact bytecode may be more efficient
> on a *simple* interpreter - but it really depends more on how smart
> the compiler is that generates the bytecode, and how clever the
> interpeter (augmented by a just-in-time compiler) is.

at this point I have only one but very general question:

as everybody knows, among the flagship GNU products there are the GNU
Compiler Collection and the GNU Binutils.

was there ever any research done aimed at making these things suitable
for an interactive native-compiling language environment?  it seems
such a shame that so much backend and porting work is done for all
those icky batch languages like C, C++, Java, Chill, Pascal, etc,
while all the Lisp, Scheme, Prolog & ML systems out there are
basically out in the cold when it comes to native compilation.

when I hear about how wonderful Java JIT's are from none other then
*you*, Per, I get kind of frustrated with the whole thing...

sorry for being only marginally on topic (if at all).

--
May all your PUSHes be POPped.