Re: interface reductions

Dirk Herrmann <dirk@ida.ing.tu-bs.de> writes:

> Aha.  So the great thing about keywords is that you spare a "'" for the
> cost of "#:"   :-)

The "#:" syntax is a Guile peculiarity.  Most Scheme or Lisp dialects
use just a single prefix or postfix ":".  The postfix syntax is nice
because it matches common English usage:
        (foo a: x b: y)

I think the intent was that "#:" be the "core syntax", and then
the user syntax (when approprite modules are loaded) would be postfix
or prefix ":".  But user code should not be using "#:", in my opinion.

> The way they steal one single quote is also strange:
>
> guile> ''#:b
> (quote #:b)

No, that is not strange.  Try it with anything else:
        guile> ''xxxx
        (quote xxxx)
This follows from the definitions of quote and evaluation in R5RS.
--
	--Per Bothner