Re: interface reductions

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> > SCM_FAST_FLUID_REF    --> scm_fluid_ref
> > SCM_FAST_FLUID_SET_X  --> scm_fluid_set_x
>
> Those look like they have some special reason for their existence.
> Always before removing things, we should find the ChangeLog entry
> where they were added---that may give a clue.
>
> Let me check if I can find the reason.

These were provided from the start.  As explained in the commentary in
fluids.h, the purpose is to provide a fast fluid access method.  This
is also reflected in the names.

Q: Why would you need fast access to fluids?

A: The aim is of course that *all* thread-local SCM-type state
   information in Guile should be represented by fluids.  Currently
   time-critical such information is stored in the root state, but
   we plan to remove the root state.  Then SCM_FAST_FLUID_REF will
   probably be needed.

My guess is that the original motivation for providing them was to
encourage people to use fluids instead of adding things to the root
state.

I don't think these macros restricts the implementation of fluids.  I
think they are pretty OK.