Re: Unwanted hook names (was Re: interface reductions)

"Greg J. Badros" <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> > You should use the module system for that, and not kludge a name onto
> > every value.
>
> It's not every value, just the values of things exposed to the C layer
> because they are "magic" values.

Yes, and I notice that I sounded too harsh.  I'm sorry for that.  A
counter argument to my own drivel would be the primitive procedures: I
don't know whether I would like it if they would print without a
name. (Recently it caused me quite some pain that macros print without
a name.)  But still, I think it is better not to pretend that values
have intrinsic names.

> That seems roughly equivalent to using the property 'name on each hook,
> and that seems fine.

Yes, agreed.