Re: Docstrings and Reference manual (Re: Discussing Guile and revising interfaces)

<snip>

> Any miscellaneous properties, such as file location (e.g., "alist.c:12"),
> cross references, names of arguments (for procedures), and possible
> value types (for customizable variables), can be included.  I haven't
> thought very details, but I need those information to implement the new
> describe procedure.

I prefer using XML in the docstring and then having a tool generate the
property lists as appropriate.  Then we leverage existing technology.
Basically what you want is semantically meaningful text in the
docstring, and that's exactly what XML is designed to do, and it's
gaining a ton of momentum.

(I know we went through the docbook vs. texinfo debate a while ago, but
now I think I'm pondering something a little different which is to just
define our own simple docstring DTD, and use it).

Greg