Guile: Still need to be the "Main" in "main()"???

Just a general question about Guile:

A fellow developer who experimented with Guile a few revisions
ago indicated that when embedding Guile in a program as an
extension language, you had to let Guile run as the "main"
program, calling into the C code of the "application".  So
the paradigm seems to be "Guile controls the main run loop,
calling into C periodically to handle your specific application
functionality".

This doesn't make sense to me -- I want to control the main
execution loop from within my C program, and periodically call
into Guile when it suits me.

Is this really a requirement of Guile, or was I misinformed?

Thanks,

-Brent