Re: Making shure that guile compiles with non GNU compilers

Apart from the typo in the subject it seems that I wrote:

> Of course, this does not mean that vendors or users can contribute
> patches and add-on's to make it work with other compilers or machines.

This is of course should have been " ... this does not mean that users
can't contribute patches ..."

Clark McGrew <mcgrew@ale.physics.sunysb.edu> writes:

> Yes, and no...  GCC has some nice extensions, and it wouldn't be hard
> to make the code require GCC.  That's the sort of thing that pisses me
> off about MS; they violate standards to make sure you have to use
> their tools.

You can't stick to old standards forever.  MS doesn't write free
software, do they?  I think it is okay to use gnu extensions as long
as these extensions are available to everyone and don't make it
impossible to port the application to ansi compilers.

And why do these gnu extensions force you to use gnu compilers?  Are
the extensions patented, is the code obfusicated or not available at
all?
Yes, it requires some work for non-gnu users.  But why do gnu people
have to do this job?

Some people have posted suggestions how to compile Keisuke's VM with
non-gnu compilers.  Okay, but why has Keisuke have to take care of
that before starting his project; a "bad thing" as someone said.

If you want to adapt code to make it work with your compiler, you can
always modify it and post patches.

Jost