Re: Language translation proposal

In general, the plan looks good.  I have one specific comment.

    When opening a file for reading, Guile will read the first few lines,
    looking for the string "-*- LANGNAME -*-", where LANGNAME can be
    either the long or short form of the name.

If Guile reads these comments, it should handle the full spec for them,
which includes -*-foo: bar; mode: langname; quux: yes-*-.

But I am not sure it is a good idea for programs to use these
comments to decide the actual syntax.  Some sort of intuition tells
me it is not a good idea.

For example, gcc won't try to use -*-C-*- to determine that a file
contains C code.  Though it will use the file name to decide.