Guile news 2

* The core of Jost's environment patches (the environment
  implementation) has finally been integrated into libguile by Dirk
  Herrmann.  Jost did the original implementation, but Dirk has done
  quite a lot of work on the implementation himself.

  We'll now review the code, experiment and think a little, and maybe
  even incrementally replacing pieces of the current module system.

  But with this done, the big goal is to get the module system design
  process running.  This is expected to happen shortly!  8-)

  This is the last time we're going to allow patches to lie around for
  so long.  :(

  Many thanks to both Jost Boekemeier and Dirk Herrmann for their good
  work on this!

* Peter C. Norton have installed a preliminary version of the new
  Guile WWW pages at http://www.gnu.org/software/guile .

  Thanks Peter!

* Guile's string operations have now been R5RS-ified.  The concepts of
  "read-only strings" and "shared substrings" will disappear.  We will
  only provide R5RS semantics for strings in the core library.

  But in order to achieve performance, we're planning to start using
  shared storage in the implementation of strings and symbols, so that
  operations such as `symbol->string' and `substring' get low
  overhead.