RE: Octave and Guile?

On 14-Sep-2000, Daschbach, John L <John.Daschbach@pnl.gov> wrote:

| 2.)  Why rewrite the interpreter in guile?  At least to start it
| would seem better to just add the ability to evaluate scheme code in
| octave.

I'm not suggesting that Octave be rewritten in Guile.  Instead, I
would modify Octave to emit Scheme code, and have Guile interpret it.
For maximum benefit to both Guile and Octave, I think they need to be
able to share all data.  Based on my understanding of how things work,
it would be easier to do this if there is really only one interpreter
running at a time, and it makes more sense for that interpreter to be
Guile instead of Octave.  Guile users would be able to call Octave
functions and Octave users would be able to call Guile procedures.
Life would be good.

jwe