Canadian builds of Insight.

Brendan,

 > I downloaded insight-19990802.tar.gz last night and manged to compile a
 > native linux version and a native-powerpc-eabi version (ie.
 > cross-debugger running on linux but targeting powerpc-eabi).  Great.
 >
 > I tried doing a Canadian build (build=i586-linux, host=i586-cygwin32,
 > target=powerpc-eabi).  It eventually died complaining that it couldn't
 > find termcap.h or tcap.h (one of these anyway).  Now I'm not sure if I
 > configured it wrong or am missing a file.  I think I used the following
 > configure options (--with-headers=<newlib-path>/newlib/libc/include
 > --with-newlib) which may have confused it.
 > Do I need to use these options ?
 > Does the canadian build use the header files from the native cross-tools
 > directories (eg. /usr/local/gcc/powerpc-eabi/include in my case) ?

You should not need these options, the cross compiler should be able
to figure them all out for you.

Anyway, newer versions of readline use termcap, so you will have to
have the termcap libraries in the target support for your cross
compiler.  Newer versions of Cygwin do include it (like the snapshots
from sourceware) so you should be able to copy the libtermcap bits
from there.  There should be appropriate configury bits there as well...

 > BTW: I compiled with egcs-1.1.2 and there are TONS of warnings.  I feel
 > real uncomfortable when projects compile with warnings.  Do the GNU
 > projects have policies regarding warning free code ?

No doubt, Gdb still has way too many warnings.  These crept up over
time when we were not being vigilant.  We are slowly working to fix
all the warnings; this is a side project particularly of Andrew
Cagney's, who has managed to fix quite a few already.  If you want
to pitch in and whack a few yourself, that would be great :-)

Gdb also has a quite extensive test suite (~ 5000 tests).  We monitor
this pretty closely, and that is our main guarantor of correct
functioning for Gdb.  So even though warnings are definitely a BAD
THING, I am not as worried as I would be if we didn't run the tests
quite often...

Jim

--
Jim Ingham                                              jingham@cygnus.com